Today's TDF random thoughts (for now):
- I am already certain, at this early stage, that I would never ever buy a Saab, I'm that sick of "Born From Jets."
- Has the absence of Astana, arguably the best team in the world, made the TDF more interesting and safe? Here's the thinking: Lance Armstrong supersized the tour and made it into the Superbowl of Cycling. (See "Born From Jets.") That made every single stage a bare-knuckled and brutal streetfight -- also, incidentally, vastly increasing the pressure and temptation to use illegal substances like Nacho Flavored Doritoes.
- OK, so it's always been prestigious to win a stage at the TDF. Who doesn't want free drinks in France for the rest of your life? But that little extra pressure and that little bit more sponsorship money -- maybe it made people zig when they should have zagged (in both the literal and the moral sense.)
- Stefan Schumacher looked a lot like Jonny Page, coming through the chutes yesterday.
- Oh, I almost forgot. Today's TDF sandwich: On channel 69, its The Waltons, "The Honeymoon." On Channel 67, it's My Friends Tigger & Pooh, "Piglet's Lightning Frightening."