An Amusement & Diversion for The Genteel Cyclist. Daily.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Great missing facial hair of the TDF, episode no. 1

Through much of the 1970s, my dear father sported a big furry mustache. The kind I've since learned is called a "donut duster." He looked good in it. It was a good balance against his weak chin. And then in the early 80s, I suppose as a consequence of some sort of mid-life crisis (which also expressed itself in not one but two corvettes -- one burnt orange, the other black), he shaved it off. And for the next 10 years he looked to me like a guy who had just shaved off his mustache. He had this sort of stiff-upper-lip look that seemed as though he'd taken a shot of novacaine to the lips or something. The look eventually wore off, and he went back to looking like a regular guy who'd never worn whiskers.

I mention this because every year at the TDF I notice that Paul Sherwen--whom I adore--has that look. He has not, to my knowledge, ever worn a mustache, but he always looks like he just shaved one off.



I'm guessing here, but I'd say that Paul shaves with an electric razor during the TDF, and as the stages wear on, the shave will get scruffier and scruffier.


Also this: If you want to do any mining in Uganda, Africa, you'll want to email Paul for the latest in logistics.


No comments: