An Amusement & Diversion for The Genteel Cyclist. Daily.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Talking Funny On Thursdays: The Antidote

From the profane to the sacred. Here's a sweet video sent our way this morning that's a nice counterbalance to broken face boy.

Readers may remember that whole DKNY debacle earlier this year during fashion week in NYC. (DKNY painted a bunch of clunker bikes orange and locked them up all over the city like some completely misguided commercial appropriation of the Ghost Bike deal.)

While we're generally indifferent and maybe even a little hostile to the Vogue-ification of cycling and bike culture, this British clothing company makes cute stuff for the ladies, and they show impeccable taste by teaming up with Pashley Bikes -- the venerable old British cycling brand with the massive (and totally awesome) hampers on the bars. Good on ya, Topshop and Pashley, hooray! Also, extra credit for using a ukelele song.





Note to the feminine side of myself: The way to avoid getting your skirts into your spokes is not by installing a skirt guard. It's by wearing a shorter skirt!

By the way, this video totally reminded me of a pair of fully awesome sunglasses I had back in the 70s. They were called Cebe Alpines, and all the coolest kids wore them on the slopes. I had a pair just like this, possibly white, but with the laminated red, white, and blue bows:




Waaah. I wish I still had these, along with my Rossignol ST Competitions, Solomon 727s, and my Lange boots. (This sentiment, BTW, justifies the boxes and boxes of shit I have in my garage and basement that I will one day be able to brag about still owning. Hey all you PFN readers, remember freakin' CROCs?!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it. Thats a great ad.