An Amusement & Diversion for The Genteel Cyclist. Daily.

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Semi-remarkable bike people: Leslie Nielsen, tragi-comic winter cyclist


In this month's issue of Esquire magazine, Leslie Nielsen -- the kooky Canadian who uttered the immortal undead comedic line, "I am serious. And don't call be Shirley" -- drops some knowledge in their monthly "What I've Learned" department. Among his lessons for young men? Don't be a slave to bicycle fashion.


When I was a boy, I delivered newspapers on my bicycle at 64 below. The worst part is, I wanted to impress the girls, so I had to look good. I couldn't wear a hat with earflaps. I had to sport the wave. So I'd put some water through my hair and push that wave up over my forehead. Then I'd step outside and splicccchhh-it would freeze.


Er. Come to think of it, maybe the lesson is do be a slave to bicycle fashion. But just don't be a Canadian.

No comments: