An Amusement & Diversion for The Genteel Cyclist. Daily.

Friday, March 21, 2008

Esoteric Cycling Argument #293b: Track Bikes vs. Fixies

James at Bicycle Design has an interesting soliloquy on track bikes versus fixed-gear bikes, and which is to be preferred for urban riding.



Can you think of a good reason why a cyclist should not ride a track bike in the city, but a converted fixie is fine? (Assume no brakes on either bike.)



The only reason I can think of at the moment is this: Because riding a Velodrome-approved track bike is even more pretentious.

1 comment:

Yokota Fritz said...

Your answer doesn't follow from the question: you asked why the converted fixie is better than the track bike.

My fixies are brake-equippped, neither are track bikes because (in approximate order of importance):

1) I'm a total cheapskate;
2) The geometry is easier on the conversions;
3) I'm a cheapskate, and it was cheaper to do the conversions than repair/replace my old drivetrain components;
4) When I did the original conversion I lived in the snowbelt and got sick of non-working gears and brakes when everything iced up; and
5) I'm a total cheapskate.