An Amusement & Diversion for The Genteel Cyclist. Daily.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Quite possibly the most gratuitous pop reference to bicycles yet (this year)

This has been kicking around for a while, but I didn't see a need to pick on the weak, until I read the lyrics this morning. The song is "Nine Million Bicycles."

There are nine million bicycles in Beijing
That's a fact,
It's a thing we can't deny...
like the fact that i will love you till i die


Actually, the number of bikes in Beijing has been in decline in recent years as the emerging middle class wants what all middle classes want -- automobiles.To its credit, the Chinese government is working hard to get folks back on two wheels in time for this summer's Olympics (in an effort to cutdown on the smog). As far as facts go, as metaphors for love, the number of bikes in Beijing is a somewhat tenuous hook to hang your helmet on.

But man, if I could get around town by simply laying on my back, I'd trade in that recumbent for good money. And I'd start an oil-changing business.




Recommended earwash: Black Flag's "Gimme Gimme Gimme."

No comments: