An Amusement & Diversion for The Genteel Cyclist. Daily.

Monday, August 13, 2007

All up in my face: One of those days


Late last week, after a meeting at the local watering hole, I was riding back to the office in a blissful sort of daze. Midway down a busy city block, a traffic cop steps out into my lane to begin directing traffic out of a parking ramp. No hand up, no signal, no warning. I started to swerve to avoid him, and I may as well have given the guy an adrenaline shot in the ass, because he was mad as hell, and he decided I was the main thing that was wrong with his day. He pulled me over and began, as they say, tearing me a new one. He was four shades of pissed: orange and blue and white and red all over. Anyway, after a lot of heated back-and-forth, he pointed out that there was a bike lane on the other side of the street and that

"Cyclists are required by law to use a bike path where one is provided."

I demurred. No, actually I said, "That's bullshit, and I want you to write me a ticket so that I can see the statute number." Officer Road Rage trundled off to get his citation book, steam coming out of his ears. After a lot more back-and-forth, and some conciliatory remarks by your humble correspondent, the ticket was torn up and the offense forgotten, with the final parting salutation being "Ride in the goddamn bike path!"

So anyway, I interviewed two more police officers since "the incident," and I have come to several startling conclusions.


  • Many cops are not actually aware of the law, especially regarding bikes. I still don't have a statute number, but much conflicting opinion.
  • The law can't possibly require bikes to ride in bike lanes for a very simple reason -- in this case I needed to turn right from a one way, and the bike path was on the left side. (In most cities, it is illegal to use crosswalks the way we all use them: to cross to the other side of the road at the intersection.)
  • Police have all kinds of "discretionary" citations like resisting arrest or failing to stop. You can't win, unless you have an angel on your shoulder and a song in your heart.
  • 7 comments:

    Gunnar said...

    Just FYI, MN statute regarding bikes is generally in 169.222 though cities can have special rules that vary. Here's the MN Share the Road site with other helpfull advocacy info.

    Pinchie said...

    Cool, thanks Gunnar.

    Funny, one of the cops I talked to said that most downtown bike lanes violate state statute, since bikes are supposed to be within "three feet" of the curb.

    I pointed out that even this law is soft, because it's amended with the slippery clause "when safe to do so."

    Anonymous said...

    When is it ever safe to cycle within three feet of the curb?

    Anonymous said...

    There is no mandatory sidepath law in Minnesota. The cop was a ignorant of the law (in this case lack thereof) or a liar.

    States don't like mandatory sidepath laws because it raises all sorts of fun liability and maintenance issues for them.

    Ed W said...

    I had a motorist tell me that I was supposed to be no more than 3 feet from the curb here in OK. He pointed this out as I sat in a left turn lane waiting for the light to change. I offered to bet him $100 that he couldn't find that in the vehicle code. He buggered off.

    look said...

    情色電影, aio交友愛情館, 言情小說, 愛情小說, 色情A片, 情色論壇, 色情影片, 視訊聊天室, 免費視訊聊天, 免費視訊, 視訊美女, 視訊交友, ut聊天室, 視訊聊天, 免費視訊聊天室, a片下載, av片, A漫, av dvd, av成人網, 聊天室, 成人論壇, 本土自拍, 自拍, A片, 愛情公寓, 情色, 舊情人, 情色貼圖, 情色文學, 情色交友, 色情聊天室, 色情小說, 一葉情貼圖片區, 情色小說, 色情, 色情遊戲, 情色視訊, 情色電影, aio交友愛情館, 色情a片, 一夜情, 辣妹視訊, 視訊聊天室, 免費視訊聊天, 免費視訊, 視訊, 視訊美女, 美女視訊, 視訊交友, 視訊聊天, 免費視訊聊天室, 情人視訊網, 影音視訊聊天室, 視訊交友90739, 成人影片, 成人交友,

    免費A片, 本土自拍, AV女優, 美女視訊, 情色交友, 免費AV, 色情網站, 辣妹視訊, 美女交友, 色情影片, 成人影片, 成人網站, A片,H漫, 18成人, 成人圖片, 成人漫畫, 情色網, 日本A片, 免費A片下載, 性愛, 成人交友, 嘟嘟成人網, 成人電影, 成人, 成人貼圖, 成人小說, 成人文章, 成人圖片區, 免費成人影片, 成人遊戲, 微風成人, 愛情公寓, 情色, 情色貼圖, 情色文學, 做愛, 色情聊天室, 色情小說, 一葉情貼圖片區, 情色小說, 色情, 寄情築園小遊戲, 色情遊戲, 情色視訊,

    look said...

    美女脫光光的照片,美女寫真天蠶變下載,蠟筆小新影片,18成人網,自拍寫真,熟女情色貼圖,卡通美女裸體漫畫,176視訊聊天,免費線上影片,台灣美女寫真集圖片館,小魔女貼影片,小弟弟影片,內衣被拿下來的美女,夢工廠成人影音網站,真實做愛照片,檳榔西施清涼秀,xyz辣妹影音聊天網,熊貓成人貼,金瓶梅成人影片交流區,免費情色電影下載,午夜成人,娘家影片,情色小說,免費網路電視,本土自拍貼圖,聊天室avooo,av片,85cc免費影城,台灣自拍寫真照片館,情色圖書館,免費a圖a片,比基尼辣妹影片,拓網交友,台灣人情色貼圖區,正妹圖片,

    自拍偷窺貼圖區,視訊交友90739,內衣美女寫真,維克斯論壇,av片,本土自拍照片,176視訊聊天,聊天,搜樂論壇,交友聊天室,無名正妹強力版,109辣妹自拍,檳榔西施自拍照片,kijiji奇集集,pc交友,愛情公寓聊天室,珠海自拍寫真,ut女同聊天室,735聊天室,情色小站,免費情色小說,小瓢蟲論壇,金瓶梅情色文學,後宮電影案,69成人,自拍美女聊天室,聊天ukiss tw,小弟第貼影片,熟女裸體貼圖,kavo,ut 聊天室,後宮色情電影,a片天堂,a片影片,淫蕩少女貼圖,丁字褲美女影片,麗的情色,視訊聊天,人妻自拍貼圖,免費看aa片,

    There was an error in this gadget